Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

What would cause an integrated amp to play louder in one channel vs another?

I am mystified over this.

I purchased a pre-owned integrated on audiogon that is from a very well known high end manufacturer, and it is clearly playing louder through the right channel versus left. It actually sounds like the treble is tipped up hot, but very hot, like 5-10db I would guess. I am going to measure this weekend.

Before you start running down a list of old school analog troubleshooting steps, this particular amplifier has an integrated DAC. This problem persists on the integrated dac input as well as the analog inputs. When I switch speakers cables on the amp end from left to right, the problem switches sides. This holds true on all inputs.

This amp is "audiophile" style. There is no dsp, no balance control, no tone controls- nothing that might explain what is going on. So I am thinking it has to be something under the hood.

Has anyone ever encountered anything like this? Any reccs on what else I can try? I purchased from a very reputable seller, so I am not freaking out over getting screwed, and I believe in the far field this may even be tough to detect. But in the near field where I listen from- it is abundantly clear something is wrong. Hoping to find a fix but not optimistic.

TIA

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Topic - What would cause an integrated amp to play louder in one channel vs another? - Les Anderson 15:13:28 07/07/17 (15)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.