Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.
In Reply to: Tuner alignment in the MX117 from posted by E-Stat on July 6, 2017 at 05:12:43:
Aligning an older AM or FM tuner makes sense and would probably fall under the 'routine maintenance' category. But I think the MX117 is a "preamp / tuner". I wouldn't expect the preamp section to require 'maintenance' in the form of alignment like a tuner. It should either work or not. If it stops working something probably flat-out broke.
There are several alignment adjustments in a tuner that do not exist in a preamp or power amp. The front-end ganged tuning capacitor and it's trimmer caps, local oscillator, and I.F. strip consisting of multiple 455-KHz tuned circuits (10.7-MHz typical in FM sets) will all need alignment over time.
But I have yet to own a premp, power amp, or integrated amp that required 'routine maintenance'. They either break or age to the point of deterioration but this is not the same issue as 'routine maintenance'. Maybe a tube swap, but do we send our gear in for repair or 'routine maintenance' for a simple tube swap? I suppose some folks might.
As an aside, I'm reminded of the days of carrying a bag full of TV tubes to the corner store to use their tube tester when our family TV started acting up. ;-)
This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - How long is too long in a repair shop? - Macncheez 18:39:45 07/04/17 (19)
- RE: How long is too long in a repair shop? - Macncheez 05:07:27 07/09/17 (2)
- Great News - airtime 12:56:11 07/10/17 (0)
- RE: How long is too long in a repair shop? - SgreenP@MSN.com 12:59:03 07/09/17 (0)
- RE: How long is too long in a repair shop? - gordguide 15:12:41 07/06/17 (0)
- general repair: 3 weeks max. /// specialty custom upgrades: 6 months. nt - 3+4=5 13:26:05 07/06/17 (0)
- So I was going to take an old coat to Goodwill.... - viridian 17:19:12 07/05/17 (0)
- When the customer thinks it is. - Ozzie 16:23:10 07/05/17 (0)
- RE: How long is too long in a repair shop? - airtime 12:49:06 07/05/17 (5)
- +1 - djk 14:49:25 07/05/17 (4)
- Why? Do you have alternatives? - Rick W 10:13:46 07/05/17 (0)
- When you have to post that question... - musetap 20:31:50 07/04/17 (0)
- Having worked in several repair shops... - Charles Hansen 19:42:01 07/04/17 (1)
- RE: Having worked in several repair shops... - Sondek 07:05:16 07/05/17 (0)
- a couple weeks at most (nt) - Chip647 19:25:18 07/04/17 (0)
- RE: How long is too long in a repair shop? - Kingshead 19:19:54 07/04/17 (0)
- RE: Tuner alignment in the MX117 from - AbeCollins 10:29:13 07/06/17 (1)
- RE: Tuner alignment in the MX117 from - djk 14:35:37 07/06/17 (0)