Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

Having worked in several repair shops...

... a well organized shop used to have a turn-around time of under a week unless special parts needed to be ordered. But that was decades ago when repair shops were in every legitimate audio dealer and there were typically two or three technicians there.

I suspect today electronic repair shops are a dying breed and virtually all of them are one-man shows. The problem is that anybody smart enough to be a first rate technician is usually smart enough to be a design engineer. Guess which career path is more financially rewarding? I would imagine that you are dealing with a smart, yet quirky guy running a one-man operation either out of his house or in an area with very low rental costs.

The first problem is knowing what you are doing and having the correct tools for the job. The second problem is finding the needed information such as schematic diagrams and/or service manuals. In the old days everybody made those, but in today's world almost everything is made in China and cheaper to replace than repair. Why bother to make a manual? That means the guy is on his own and trying to reverse-engineer the product. This could take time.

The only good news is that with the exception of specific parts like chassis parts and power transformers, one can literally build a reasonably good piece of high-end equipment sourcing all of the parts from either Mouser or Digikey.

Good luck!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.