Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

Computer-Switcher-?-StageBug-Anchor AN-130

Hello,

I have a setup that is not working well, and I need to either add another dang item to the chain, or make another change. I'd like advice from anyone who has it.

I take audio from computers for playback to a courtroom. The setup is temporary and ideally with the fewest parts to carry and set up (because I have a lot of other things to set up). Originally I simply connected my laptop to my anchor AN130 via a mini to RCA stereo cable. There was a slight hiss, but was not noticeable unless you sat right next to it, and even then, it was slight.

But then I saw my colleagues using a DSAN LSP-1 Laptop SoundPort to suppress the hiss. I thought that looked like a good idea, and I also didn't want to look less professional. I got one, but it brought my audio output down to such a low level that it was unusable.

After consulting with B&H, I got a StageBug SB-5 Laptop DI. This also knocked down the level, but when using it with just my laptop it was loud enough for a courtroom, so I was satisfied. (Both of these devices run through an XLR to TS cable, by the way.)

But then I did a more complicated setup that included two laptop signals running through an Atlona VGA-Audio switcher. This caused the audio signal to drop down even lower, especially from the other laptop. It was also very noisy, and simply unusable. I took the StageBug out and went back to the RCA inputs. It still had the slight hum but, again, nobody cared and all went well after that.

Looking back on the setup where I first saw the DSan device, they also had a rather large 16 channel mixer in the setup. There is no reason for the mixer other than to rent an additional item to the client, as far as I can tell - except it may have provided a signal boost. If they had any other amplifier in that setup, I didn't see it.

So now I am looking at something like this:

Computer - Switcher - ?amplifier? - StageBug - Anchor AN-130

I am going to set this up with a Shure M367 (because I happen to have one handy) in the ? spot next, but am seeking advice more informed than the B&H sales associate. Is there something like a StageBug that also amplifies the signal?

If it is not at least as small as the M367, I'll just continue on without the StageBug and accept the hum.

Thanks in advance.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Topic - Computer-Switcher-?-StageBug-Anchor AN-130 - Hjourzt 11:02:57 07/01/17 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.