Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

Simaudio 700i

As long as the Oppo BDP-95 is used with powercords and interconnects which do NOT roll off the treble, it is fine, far superior to the overrated BDP-83 I used to have.

My colleagues and I have limited experience with the Simaudio 700i. When we (a) were in larger rooms, (b) were using larger speakers from the likes of B&W, Dynaudio, Magnepan, Penaudio, Sonus Faber, Thiel, Totem, and scores other, (c) maintained the same volume levels, and (d) made no other changes other than the amps, the 700i, versus the 600i, will preserve more body, exercise more control, and more firmly anchor the images within the soundstage. But it's a small qualitative difference.

Whether or not I were in the market, I would skip the 700i, and, for roughly the same price, get a package consisting of (a) the sonically-invisible 740p, (b) a transparent interconnect, and (c) one of Simaudio's cheaper power amps.

Hmmm, now that I check my own work, I see that I never did finish reviewing the 600i. But in the meantime, check out this about the Hi-Fi Tuning Supreme In the 600i. Hint: if you can find it, the Hi-Fi Tuning Silverstar is even better, allowing the 600i to get closer to goal of being like NO amp at all.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.