Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: Audionervosa: Pass or Latino?

The Pass XA30.5 output is single ended for the first few watts.

From the Pass website:

In 2002 the first XA amplifiers were released, combining the X and Aleph topologies into balanced single-ended Class A amplifiers with many of the characteristics of both the X and Aleph series.

From the Stereophile review:

This simple, three-stage topology is common throughout the Pass line, the major differences being in the power supplies and biasing. In the XA.5 amps the bias is set quite high, so that the output stage operates in class-A up to the rated output and emulates a single-ended amplifier at low levels. Pass described this to me as "a push-pull output stage in parallel with a constant current source. The n channel, which handles the push, or plus, side of the push-pull, is biased at a higher level than the p, or negative channel. At very low power levels, the p channel doesn't see the current source and the output is effectively that of the n channel functioning in single-ended mode. At higher levels, both n and p devices contribute to the output as a push-pull pair, operating in class-A mode up to the amp's rated output and class-AB beyond that point."

Dark energy? Ridiculous!
We live in an electric universe.

Edits: 06/19/17

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.