Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: Thanks - interesting points! Maybe others will weigh in?

Tube dampers may YET work at Diminishing microphonic vibes.

This is pretty easy to test and also cheaper than dirt, unless you are going thru some pirate of a parts seller who marks up the essentially inexpensive O-Rings to the moon.

If I owned tube gear, I'd test this. Yes ME. I can get a grip on the science of this pretty easily.

Find out what Size you need and buy the lowest temp material which will work. O-Rings also have what is called 'durometer', which is a measure of 'bounciness'.

Rubber may melt too easily and May work only on the lowest temp tubes. Other compounds have better temp resistance. We used (red) Silicon in some applications while for other uses we used either Viton or Buna-N. (nitrile?) For EXTREME chemical resistance (plasmas / RF / agressive chemistry) we used Ethylene Propylene = EP for short. This stuff is Wacky Expensive.

I'm just thinking that Isolaton of the tube socket from the chassis MIGHT help. Or it could hurt, since vibration in the tube would not be directly coupled to a High Mass object....the Chassis.
I'd secure the tube socket with Nylon screws and nuts and something between. Maybe sheet Silicon Rubber? I'd have to look at a current tube socket / chassis to think about what else might be done.

Airborne vibration WOULD reach the filiment but would have to mechanically couple to something which was coupled to the tube and the internals which support the filiment. That's why I'm not too 'big' on o-ring tube dampers, but would certainly devise a measurable test.
Too much is never enough

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Thanks - interesting points! Maybe others will weigh in? - pictureguy 21:04:25 06/11/17 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.