Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

My own answer to MikeCh's question, since this is my post. ;-)

You ask "why bother?", and I can only say to find out if I can hear a difference in the sound or not, and, if so, whether the difference is an improvement in the sound or not.

Whether or not microphonics are what contributes to what makes tubes sound "good", I'd like to explore which, if any, anti-vibration devices improve the sound of my preamp and which don't and am asking those who've experimented with such devices (including footers, platforms and tube dampers) for their experiences because it's fun to discuss such things with fellow hobbyists and can be instructive.

It would seem possible to me that even if the slight microphonics that are inherent to any filament in a well made vacuum tube are euphonic, at some point microphonics become unpleasant and distracting, and that those might be caused by external airborne or mechanical feedback that might be minimized by a tube damper.

But that gets me to pigctureguy's response below, which has me questioning how tube dampers work in the first place (if, indeed, they do).
___
"If you are the owner of a new stereophonic system, this record will play with even more brilliant true-to-life fidelity. In short, you can purchase this record with no fear of its becoming obsolete in the future."

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Take Five Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.