Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

Tube Preamp Vibration Control Suggestions?

Hey Inmates,

I was wondering what, if anything, those of you with tube preamps do for vibration control. In the past I had a CJ Premier 17LS, which I believe came with silicon ring dampers installed on the four signal tubes. I left them in place but didn't bother with any other vibration control approaches, and I loved the sound.

I now have the Rogue RP-5 which does not come with tube dampers. I have replaced the stock JJ 12au7s with NOS Mullards.

I am looking at Herbie's stuff. I have not called him yet, but I assume he would recommend his own tube dampers as well as either his Tender Feet or something similar between the preamp and the equipment rack, and likely also some kind of vibration puck for the top. I will say that the Rogue's removable cover is thin and very resonant, though I'm not sure that matters given the 30 pound weight of the piece.

I wonder, though, if regular silicon ring dampers would work as well as Herbie's tube dampers on 12au7s since the 12au7s are cool/warm running tubes (so his open design might not be necessary)? Also, I am interested in thoughts on footers, damping pucks or similar stuff, and whether there are alternatives to Herbie's products that work as well at lower cost (including DIY options). While I believe his prices are reasonable for what he provides, they do add up and I have other components in the system to think about.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Josh
___
"If you are the owner of a new stereophonic system, this record will play with even more brilliant true-to-life fidelity. In short, you can purchase this record with no fear of its becoming obsolete in the future."

Edits: 06/09/17

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Topic - Tube Preamp Vibration Control Suggestions? - JoshT 12:20:08 06/09/17 (51)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.