Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: That's a lot of stuff ! ...

Thanks Dean!

I like the RELs a lot. I follow RELs recommended approach, which is to use the Neutrik Speakon connectors and keep bumping the crossover frequency levels lower and lower until they are "invisible". That allows you to boost gain setting up a bit. Ideally, they should seem invisible until you turn them off and notice everything kind of "shrink." With two it takes longer before they are dialed in, but seems worth it in the end to minimize suck-out spots or directivity. They are now virtually seamless, though I will admit to having some boominess on certain very bass-heavy music, like songs by Morphine and Cowboy Junkies and some cuts by Beck. It can be tricky to get those few songs just right without backing off the gain a bit more than ideal for 98% of the music. After the Rogue Audio is all burned it, I'll likely be tweaking them a little bit, but they're darn close.

Only after optimizing the subs for 2 channel, should you set them for 5.1 HT (if even applicable). You want to set your processor to full range for the L&R speakers so that the RELs continue to extend them through the Neutrik connectors, and then adjust the LFE input for the appropriate level of very low frequency bump. I know all the theoretical reasons for why this REL recommended approach is not ideal for home theater, but the result is just outstanding and seamless for both 2 channel and HT once everything is set correctly.

But as cool as the system is for TV and movies, my true love of this system is for how it handles stereo music. I really enjoy the MacMini --> Oppo as DAC --> Rogue, and the VPI --> internal phono stage of Rogue. The Rogue works nicely with the CJ ss power amp. In fact it has a sound similar to CJ's old Premier LS17 preamp, though a wee bit more "liquid" and "full" sounding without being overly lush.

Yes, there are lots of boxes! A bit unsightly for lovers of simple systems, but once a particular chain is engaged it's pretty simple and the results are fun!
___
"If you are the owner of a new stereophonic system, this record will play with even more brilliant true-to-life fidelity. In short, you can purchase this record with no fear of its becoming obsolete in the future."

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: That's a lot of stuff ! ... - JoshT 11:42:33 06/09/17 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.