Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.
Until I get an Ayre KX-5 Twenty, I'm limited to 2 balanced inputs with the K-5xeMP, one used for a C-5xeMP and the other for a Sony HAP-Z1ES . Oppo Tech tells me the sound from the unbalanced output of a 205 should be identical to that from balanced output. But is that true of Ayre inputs? The 205 is claimed to be fully balanced with dual differential channels. Could I expect the sound to be superior if I connected it to a balanced input of the Ayre?
An article by Harley in Absolute Sound seems to suggest that if both units are not fully balanced it might be better to use single-ended to avoid additional processing. I'm pretty sure my Ayre disc player, pre-amp, and VX-5 Twenty amp are fully balanced, and the 205 is said to be, but I don't know about the Sony.
Perhaps it's time to get s 2:1 balanced switch.
This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - Balanced v unbalanced input to an Ayre preamp - dbphd 15:38:47 05/31/17 (10)
- RE: Balanced v unbalanced input to an Ayre preamp - Charles Hansen 19:53:34 06/02/17 (0)
- RE: Balanced v unbalanced input to an Ayre preamp - John Elison 07:52:00 06/01/17 (4)
- Listening beats theory every time. IMO anyway.. nt - 3+4=5 12:18:36 06/01/17 (2)
- RE: Listening beats theory every time. IMO anyway.. nt - dbphd 00:33:00 06/03/17 (0)
- +1 (nt) - Charles Hansen 19:50:53 06/02/17 (0)
- Of course, the next step is to build a balanced tube preamp... :) nt - Ralph 09:49:44 06/01/17 (0)
- RE: Balanced v unbalanced input to an Ayre preamp - bjamz 02:01:14 06/01/17 (3)