Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.
In case anyone cares or wonders what happened in a future search of the AA archives.
I was able to try the experiment using my SL1200 and two Cambridge 651P's along with some custom adapter cables I made.
I just couldn't get rid of the hum wired up this way. It wasn't especially bad hum but I wouldn't say running like this bought me anything though. I really can't see any point in leaving it like this now that I tried it.
I tried and tried getting the hum to go away Even despite my adapter cable build keeping everything STP in the cabling as much as possible only utilizing short as possible stubby STP + XLR to coax + RCA y cable converter adapter cables right at the connectors on the back of the phono pres.
I feel like if there was any advantage to running like this I would have seen it. I'm abandoning the concept now.
This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - Single ended circuit reconfigured for balanced mode follow up. - Ugly 17:19:55 05/27/17 (24)
- If you had really done it balanced there would be no hum. - Ralph 10:25:34 05/30/17 (22)
- Now that I've read your post, I realize where I made a mistake... - Ugly 20:19:13 05/30/17 (5)
- I forgot to mention - Ralph 09:25:17 05/31/17 (3)
- RE: I forgot to mention - Ugly 10:09:32 05/31/17 (2)
- Is that noise there when the input is connected to the cartridge? nt - Ralph 11:10:31 05/31/17 (1)
- RE: Is that noise there when the input is connected to the cartridge? nt - Ugly 14:09:17 05/31/17 (0)
- FWIW I went down this path about 30 years ago - Ralph 09:06:07 05/31/17 (0)
- RE: If you had really done it balanced there would be no hum. - bare 15:37:06 05/30/17 (15)
- This is patently false for 2 reasons: - Ralph 09:02:47 05/31/17 (13)
- RE: This is patently false for 2 reasons: - Ugly 09:52:06 05/31/17 (10)
- It helps, but mainly the voltage input - Ralph 11:09:04 05/31/17 (9)
- Yes, I see. Though... - Ugly 22:26:44 06/01/17 (8)
- I'm not sure - Ralph 09:36:04 06/02/17 (7)
- RE: I'm not sure - Ugly 10:26:03 06/02/17 (6)
- I don't think you need to do that - Ralph 10:51:51 06/02/17 (5)
- RE: I don't think you need to do that - Ugly 09:30:52 06/03/17 (4)
- Are you building a preamp from scratch then? nt - Ralph 08:52:04 06/05/17 (3)
- RE: Are you building a preamp from scratch then? nt - Ugly 19:21:24 06/05/17 (2)
- The link doesn't work, Ralph (nt) - 1973shovel 09:07:12 05/31/17 (1)
- corrected link nt - Ralph 09:38:11 05/31/17 (0)
- RE: If you had really done it balanced there would be no hum. - Ugly 21:53:19 05/30/17 (0)
- Screenshot - Ugly 13:25:06 05/28/17 (0)