Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: Connecting alternate amp

Thanks for the advice guys. Actually I turn off the Cary CAD 572SE monoblocks when not in use, but I thought to leave the Ayre VX-5 Twenty in standby mode when using the Carys. Turning the Carys off is easy, because the switch is in front. but it's difficult to reach the power switch on the rear of the Ayre. Concern about shorting disconnected speaker leads is daunting, so I'll give up the plan if I can't power down the Ayre.

I've been using the Ayre setup with the single-ended output going to a Beveridge crossover. Low-pass goes to a pair of Velodyne HGS-10s, high-pass to the Carys. It doesn't seem to effect the sound at all. One of the Carys is awaiting a tube replacement, so it has not been operational, so I don't know what effect if any the balanced connection to the Ayre amp might have.

The previous setup used a Cary Cinema 12 processor and Parasound A 21 as the alternate amp. I used bananas with both amps and moved a single pair of speaker cables between them. The sound with the Carys was quite different from the sound with the A 21. My impression is that the sound with the Ayre preamp and amp is much closer to that of the Carys, but we all know how fallible audio memory is.

db

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Connecting alternate amp - dbphd 20:21:10 05/23/17 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.