Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.
I'm considering getting one of these preamps to insert in my two-in-one (home theater and 2 channel) system. My system profiles are woefully out of date, but I currently use a Krell Foundation as both my TV/HT processor and my 2 channel preamp, with a CJ MF2250 for the front R & L speakers, which are Dynaudio Focus 160s. The Foundation is actually quite a nice preamp, but has a somewhat limited soundstage and I miss the days when I had an excellent tube preamp.
So far, I have auditioned both the RP-1 and RP-5 briefly at Goodwin's High End in Waltham, MA. In their listening room, I must say that the RP-5 is noticeably better to my ears. The RP-1 is quite lovely, but a bit too lush and rolled off. It reminds me somewhat of the old CJ PV14L. The RP-5 is more incisive and detailed while retaining some warmth. It reminds me somewhat of the old CJ Premier 17LS.
BUT . . . I've been tricked by that particular listening room before. It always seems to render equipment I've auditioned more warm and rounded than what I hear at home, so I will likely home audition both preamps in my home system in a week or two. Might as well give the RP-1 another chance at home.
I'm wondering if anyone here has heard both in either the same system or systems they're familiar with. I love the price of the RP-1, and while I gather its headphone amp and phono stage are inferior to the RP-5's, I don't listen much to headphones and I already have a phono preamp (the PS Audio GCPH) that I really like. So, I don't feel the need to pay for those features (or other things like the processor loop). But if the RP-5 sounds as much better than the RP-1 in my home system as it did at Goodwin's, I'll spring for it and will dig deeper in my pockets.
"If you are the owner of a new stereophonic system, this record will play with even more brilliant true-to-life fidelity. In short, you can purchase this record with no fear of its becoming obsolete in the future."
This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - Rogue Audio RP-1 vs. RP-5 - JoshT 08:24:15 05/08/17 (17)
- RE: Rogue Audio RP-1 vs. RP-5 - stereo5 11:26:28 05/14/17 (4)
- What didn't you like about the RP-1? n/t - classfolkphile 12:34:05 05/14/17 (3)
- RE: Rogue Audio RP-1 vs. RP-5 - AbeCollins 10:27:42 05/09/17 (3)
- RE: Rogue Audio RP-1 vs. RP-5 - JoshT 14:58:33 05/09/17 (2)
- RE: Rogue Audio RP-1 vs. RP-5 - AudioSoul 16:06:50 05/08/17 (1)
- Why? Mostly for the fun of the discourse. And then also for the archives I suppose . . . - JoshT 16:24:46 05/08/17 (0)
- The price difference would pay for some REALLY good tubes... - MWE 15:32:09 05/08/17 (0)
- RE: Rogue Audio RP-1 vs. RP-5 - BCR 14:04:09 05/08/17 (4)
- "Why do you want a preamp with features you'll never use?" - JoshT 14:13:45 05/08/17 (3)
- RE: "Why do you want a preamp with features you'll never use?" - BCR 14:40:35 05/08/17 (2)