Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: C-J PF-R

Having a CJ I stll like to "dabble" with passives I DO recommend you use a stepped attenuator in your passive chain as it does bring out more of the better qualities a passive is trying to achieve.

I use my CJ Classic 2SE but it has no remote. So I built what is basically a line attenuator between the source and pre. Works well for me.

Passives are great fun. However they are heavily dependent on the amp you are using. After dabbling with passives for a while I am starting to realize you do need a buffer stage. Some amps have them built in and that is why some amps sound better with a passive vs a preamp.

A buffer is not a gain stage but an impedance balance. My NAD has one built in and you can use the direct variable input with GREAT results. However using the non variable direct input it is bright, edgy and has poor bass. So that buffer IS important even with passives.

So if you go passive check your amp design.
Consider the Gold point
Consider a buffer

My CJ is VERY transparent. So I'm happy. But I do still like to dabble with DIY projects and just play around the edges. But no more gear thank you!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: C-J PF-R - airtime 07:35:56 05/06/17 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.