Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

C-J PF-R

Funny you should ask, Abe...I've read numerous postings of yours in the past about the PF-R.
I'm still putzing around with the Schiit (my Hytron 5692 just arrived today) but it's essentially as follows. As nice and clean as the C-J is (and it is!), there is still just a (very) subtle, but perceptible, sense of electronic haze (with the Perseus, too) that I didn't ever even notice until trying the Saga, with which it's just non-existent.
Now, as you correctly say, this could be expected given the passive nature of the Saga, but never having used one before, I was surprised at the difference- it just seems like a "straight wire without gain, but volume control". In other words, with the actives, I DO get the sense that something IS being done to the signal, unlike with the passive. I do have to wonder how much of the difference I hear is not "active vs. passive", but "stepped attenuator vs. potentiometer"(?).

Mark in NC
Mark in NC
"The thought that life could be better is woven indelibly into our hearts and our brains" -Paul Simon

Edits: 05/05/17

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • C-J PF-R - MWE 19:09:57 05/05/17 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.