Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

You can respectively disagree all you want, but you're wrong...

I just assembled a Vacuum Tube Audio SP14 line-stage preamplifier kit. My TASCAM DA-3000 DSD recorder is connected to its record-output. The signal to the record-output never enters any active components in the preamp. In fact, I never even turn on my preamp when I make recordings of vinyl records. I leave the preamp turned off. I set the input selector switch to "AUX 1" where my external phono stage is connected. This connects the phono stage directly to my TASCAM DA-3000 through the record-output. I don't turn my preamp on to make recordings because I don't want my speakers playing. I monitor my recordings using headphones connected directly to the headphone jack on my TASCAM DA-3000.

The record-input on my SP14 preamp is connected to the "Tape-Monitor" switch. Unless that switch is in the "Tape" position, the output from my TASCAM is not connected to the preamp. I leave the tape monitor-switch in the "Source" position unless I want to play back a recording through my speakers.

This is exactly the way all preamps with unbuffered record-outputs are configured. The recorder connected to the record-output applies a load only to the source component through the input selector switch; it does not apply any kind of a load to the preamp output.

My SP14 preamp has two main outputs separate from the record-output. The main outputs are in parallel and require the preamp to be turned on. My Parasound A21 amplifier is connected to one set of main outputs and my active subwoofers are connected to the second set of main outputs. The loads of these components are in parallel although they use separate output capacitors.

I think you need to reevaluate your thinking on unbuffered record-outputs.

Good luck,
John Elison

Edits: 04/27/17

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.