Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: Class D Audio modules noisy when bridged to mono

Hi Dan,

Sorry to hear of your troubles. I had some contact with Tom and ClassDAudio some time ago when my amps were new and I found him to be very responsive. It seems odd to me that you haven't heard from him...

My CDA-254 amps have a very slight hiss to them that disappears when you back off from them more than a foot or two. I never tried bridging them, though. If your Tannoy drivers are high sensitivity and present an 8-ohm load, then I suspect this would be a more pronounced issue. I suspect bridging them would only compound the leading edge spikes that were revealed with square wave testing I performed in the treble region shown on my webpage.

Ultimately, I discontinued using these amps a few years ago. My local power company converted to a TWACS system (two way automated communication system) for automated meter reading. They ping the meters nearly every hour with a 400Hz carrier wave injection into the AC grid. Because the carrier wave is so low in frequency, it is impossible to filter it out. This carrier wave traveled right through the power supply into the amp and then into my speakers EVERY time it happened. It drove me nuts! Neither Tom nor the local power engineer was able to help me, so now I have a set of 4-channel amps laying around collecting dust. This has made me a bit nervous about moving my living room audio setup from Class B to Class D as a number of new receivers are doing now.

Given my measurements, I'm not really surprised by what is happening in your case. Sorry I don't have a solution for you. Do you really NEED to bridge amps to get that much power? Perhaps you can just use a single amp without bridging and see how things turn out...

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.