Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.
Looking for opinions:
Will crosspost in Speakers forum if that's ok.
I am thinking about redoing my subwoofer setup.
Considering moving from passive filters to an active crossover.
Currently using passive filters from Harrison labs.
Running mains full-range with passive 30Hz hi-pass filters (12db/oct)
(Mains are spec'd to 42Hz bass response.)
Dual subs running mono with passive low-pass filter at 42Hz (18db/oct)
Sounds pretty good the way it is and there is no processing in the signal path to the mains.
However I have very little control and it is difficult to get the levels correct.
So now I am considering a Behringer CX2310 (2-way) crossover.
It has variable x-over point that goes down to 44Hz, which seems about right for my setup.
It is a 24dB/octave, state-variable Linkwitz-Riley crossover.
There is a used one available locally for just $50.
The benefits I see are:
- ability to run my dual subs in stereo
- much more control (knobs for x-over freq, hi freq gain, low freq gain, mute for hi and lo, etc)
- can run balanced cable from x-over to mains amp, which has XLR inputs
- introduces an extra component and processing into the signal path to the mains
- would have to buy at least 3 pairs of XLR and XLR-RCA cables (and they will be mid-range at best $$$)
What do you guys think?
My system is posted in inmates systems here: https://cgi.audioasylum.com/systems/1068.html
Mucking around the low-end since 1986.This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - Behringer crossover - should I get it? - K-Bob 12:18:38 04/20/17 (9)
- Post-install updates will be in Speakers forum. - K-Bob 06:32:30 04/28/17 (0)
- RE: Behringer crossover - should I get it? - lokie 11:05:49 04/27/17 (1)
- RE: Behringer crossover - should I get it? - K-Bob 06:28:04 04/28/17 (0)
- RE: Behringer crossover - should I get it? - Mr_Lemon 09:44:17 04/27/17 (1)
- RE: Behringer crossover - should I get it? - K-Bob 06:26:41 04/28/17 (0)
- active rocks - merdy 07:09:54 04/21/17 (0)
- if your total cost gets you close to the cost of an appropriate Rythmic sub - G Squared 16:21:49 04/20/17 (1)
- RE: if your total cost gets you close to the cost of an appropriate Rythmic sub - K-Bob 06:29:24 04/28/17 (0)
- Yes! - hawkmoon 14:40:15 04/20/17 (0)