Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.
The Perseus I bought about nine years ago, in spite of otherwise sounding very nice, has always had a noise problem. Essentially a high-pitched hum/low-pitched buzz- 60 Hz harmonics, I assumed, at a constant level, not VC-dependent. Had just lived with it lo these many years but was getting frustrated. Wasn't convinced that the factory was going to be helpful, and thus decided to take a whack at it myself. So I removed the top, removed the toroidal transformer retaining nut, and propped the transformer up on a plastic foam block so that it was raised up about three inches from its usual position at the bottom of the case. Voila'! Noise reduced about 80%.
However, I didn't want to use it like that, as I could no longer put the top cover back on. So I replaced the transformer back to its usual spot but tried rotating it about 90 degrees, the wires fortunately being long enough. Now had noise reduction of about 70%, and I can live with that. Would love to hear any insights on this from anyone in the know.
Mark in NC
"The thought that life could be better is woven indelibly into our hearts and our brains" -Paul SimonThis post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - Rogue Perseus noisiness- DIY fixed! (mostly) - MWE 12:50:20 04/19/17 (14)
- RE: Rogue Perseus noisiness- DIY fixed! (mostly) - duck decoy 07:11:52 04/23/17 (0)
- Use a thin hard rubber pad.. Raise it maybe 1/8 to 1/4"?? - 3+4=5 11:42:18 04/21/17 (2)
- RE: Use a thin hard rubber pad.. Raise it maybe 1/8 to 1/4"?? - MWE 12:13:06 04/21/17 (1)
- A strip of metal (copper or mu metal) separating the transformer from the rest of interior. - 3+4=5 20:32:54 04/21/17 (0)
- RE: Rogue Perseus noisiness- DIY fixed! (mostly) - Ugly 11:51:03 04/20/17 (3)
- RE: Shielding w/ mu-metal... - MWE 17:23:22 04/20/17 (2)
- RE: Rogue Perseus noisiness- DIY fixed! (mostly) - 6bq5 20:23:21 04/19/17 (0)
- Why did you assume the factory would not be helpful?? - JoshT 18:38:39 04/19/17 (4)