Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

I know Emotiva Audio has caught a lot of crap here in the past...

And I'm a SET/Horn guy myself, but...

Our local San Francisco Bay Area Audiophile group had a 'bargain price audio' focused meeting where members were asked to bring low cost audio gear for everyone to hear in the hope that, should we ever be asked by non-audiophiles what they should buy we don't cause a stroke or heart attack when we recommend our favorite $20,000 amp to pair with those $40,000 speakers we all have in our listening rooms. ;-) (not a bad sentence and only one comma)

Anyway someone brought Emotiva BasX A-100 Amp and it was CLEARLY the winner when driving the various low-priced speakers such as the ELAC Uni-fi UB5 (Andrew Jones had paid the group a visit a few weeks earlier).

I was impressed but quickly forgot about it until a few weeks later my neighbor (a cheap-ass surgeon) had his NAD amp break down for the third time, with me over tapping and metering and soldering to try to get it running again, because.... AUDIOPHILE and DIYer!

So finally cheap-assed surgeon wants some 'Audio Advice' from the AUDIOPHILE! next door.

"Emotiva BasX A-100 Amp' is right in your strike zone", sez me. He checks it out on-line and gets one for $230, no tax or shipping!

AND... I un-boxed it for him and ran it in our office for a few days just to check it out (fan never came on even after 48 hr. of 'break-in'). He sez it sounds better than his now-dead NAD he paid more for years ago.

So...

Linked below is a recent review by Steve Guttenberg, now with C-NET. Based on my neighbors experience, it seems to be a fairly close to the mark on this box.

So if a neighbor calls up asking for something cheap...

And don't forget Andrew Jones' new ELAC speakers!

First they came for the dumb-asses
And I did not speak out
Because I was not a dumb-ass

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Topic - I know Emotiva Audio has caught a lot of crap here in the past... - Ivan303 19:25:21 04/08/17 (9)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.