Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

Devialet Expert 200 (A game changer)

I've been an audio enthusiast for many years now. Witnessed the evolution from tubes to solid state, evolving from modified tube circuits with output iron to class D, H, etc. and vinyl/magnetic tape to digital.The products have evolved accordingly to keep up with technology advances.

The preamp was originally designed to compensate for the record curve, and provide sufficient gain to drive the power amp. When digital came along, the industry went from a all in one CD player to separate transport / DAC setup. Then,streaming came along, which the DAC may or may not support. Of course, audiophiles also have to have interconnects to hook all this gear together.

Now, suppose you could get a single box that incorporates the preamp, DAC, streaming device, Digital Signal Processing (DSP), and the power amp all in one unit. Further suppose that this all in one unit would measure 15"x"15, about two inches high, be able to mount vertically on the wall (if desired), and sound better than the vast majority of separates currently available at up to five to six times the cost?

Well,the Devialet achieves this in spades. It provides 200 watts @ 6 ohms, up-scales all inputs to 24 bit/192 Khz, can support digital, analog, and streaming inputs, along with phono. It performs the RIAA equalization in the digital domain, which is reported to be more accurate than traditional methods. Then (if your speaker is supported, which many are), the signal is processed Speaker Active Matching (SAM) (DSP) to flatten out the speaker response curve.

The amp stage is also unique (A Hybrid Digital) (AHD). This is a unique design approach, where the voltage is handled in Class A, and peak current demand is handled in Class D.

After uploading the latest firmware and configuration of the inputs, along with selecting the specific speakers to be used (Dynaudio Focus 360), fired it up, and gave it a listen.

My initial impression was WOW, this sounded incredible. I have never heard a playback setup sound this good. I was shocked just how good this setup sounded. Instruments had a natural sound that very few systems can provide. Piano sounds like it's in the room. Strings and horns (two instruments that are very hard to sound realistic) sound more like actual instruments are portrayed, as opposed to sounding like electronic reproduction.

The fact that this level of reproduction can be achieved from a single unit is simply astonishing.

"What this country needs is a good 5 watt amplifier!" (Paul Klipsch)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Topic - Devialet Expert 200 (A game changer) - Freo-1 15:32:22 03/31/17 (39)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.