Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

NSMT A100 First Impressions (of a very small amplifier)

While awaiting repairs on our house (and reconstitution of its various sound systems), I am living with a desktop system comprised of PC, Schitt Modi DAC (Toslink), Hsu HB1 Mk2 bookshelf speakers. And Dayton Sub-800 subwoofer. For no particularly good reason, I've been playing with compact (and inexpensive) amps. I started with a TubeCube 7, which I found lacking in the high end, a Dayton DTA 120, and now a NSMT A100. https://nsmt-loudspeakers.com/content/nsmt-model-a100-amplifier

For the money, I the Dayton is fine piece of kit. However, the NSMT A100 seems to be in a different class altogether. While it costs more than the Dayton, at $160, it's not particularly expensive. The NSMT has excellent frequency extension, including well controlled base, and images so well that I was, in fact, quite surprised. Noise floor is low (to my ears) and channel to channel separation is excellent. Of course, I've no means of measuring the amp; my impressions are subjective. The amplifier seems powerful (the Website says 100 WPC, but the basis for that claim (peak; RMS both channels driven; etc.). It uses a 5 amp, 24 VDC switching power supply. Music sounds like, well, music, neither grainy nor clinical. I tend to like tube amplifiers, so I am surprised by how much enjoyment I am getting from this little Class D amplifier. Oh, yes, I purchased the Baltic white birch plywood version. (No doubt the little amplifier's cabinet contributes to its audio qualities ...)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Topic - NSMT A100 First Impressions (of a very small amplifier) - svisner 19:55:25 03/23/17 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.