Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

Audio Research LS-27 preamp tube replacement

Hi.

Audio Research LS-27 preamplifier comes stock with a pair of Sovtek 6H30Pi tubes. I recently bought one of these preamplifiers used which has about 3800 hours on the original tubes.

I hear no real evidence that the preamplifier is lacking in any way sound wise, yet it was suggested by a local ARC dealer that I might consider replacing the tubes soon just in order to be certain I am obtaining the best overall sonics from the preamp.

Two questions here:

Anyone out there having practical experience with this particular model, would you agree with the dealers recommendation and secondly, would there be another tube brand besides Sovtek which might be a better choice over the Sovteks for a sensible price?

I did see on one reputable tube sellers site that the Electro Harmonix Gold was recommended over the Sovteks suggesting this tube would be an upgrade over the originals?

Please chime in with your thoughts......

thanks !

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Topic - Audio Research LS-27 preamp tube replacement - audioman 15:38:53 02/25/17 (12)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.