Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

VK-3i hum

Greetings to all! I am new on this forum, I have found it to be a wealth of information. As the title of my post says, I am having a bit of a hum problem with my VK-3i. I will try to keep it short. I am using the single ended outputs to an Odyssey Khartago amplifier then to a pair of Polk SDA 2a speakers. When I take the volume off of mute, I get a hum coming from both speakers. Audible from my listening position but not loud. The hum is actually a bit louder with the SDA interconnect in but it still comes out of both speakers when it is disconnected. I thought I had solved it with better cable management but it is still there, although cleaning up the cables did help. I have tried removing all of the sources and it remains. The hum is of constant loudness, no increase as I turn up the volume. I have tried the balanced outs with a Yamaha pro amp I have and the hum goes away.

I have spoken to Victor and Steve at BAT. Both were very helpful but there isn't much they can do unless I send the preamp to them. I may end up doing that but I am afraid that the hum might disappear in a different environment. I know there are a number of BAT users here and I thought it would be worth asking if any one else has had a similar experience and if so, what was the cause and how did you solve the problem. Thanks everyone. Tim

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Topic - VK-3i hum - Try1256 10:06:29 02/16/17 (23)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.