Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: Bi-amp fail and Amy Winehouse

I am happy to agree to disagree with you about speaker level crossover and I am glad that you are pleased with your setup as that is a goal for all of us.

The gain and sensitivity of the amp are essentially the same thing - just expressed differently (mathematically) and I absolutely agree that the two amps need to jive regardless if the crossover is at the line-level or speaker-level. Not having the same gain or having a means to equalize the gain will doom any attempt at biamping. And I also agree with you that it is better to have the amps from the same manufacturer if not from the same series or even better identical. I don't know where your comments about all amps sound the same came from, but that premise is as ludicrous as saying all speakers sound the same - we are in agreement about that.

I am not sure about the impedance of the amps being the same but I will concede that to you without any knowledge to say otherwise. As far as the 70/30 power split at 300 hz, I thought it was 50:50 - I refer to the article by Rod Elliott. Regardless one must also consider the sensitivity of the drivers and the type of music. For example if one likes a lot of bass heavy rock music then the power requirements on the low end may need to be more than those who listen to opera. Clearly if the bass driver is not as sensitive as the tweeter either more bass power is required or a padder is needed on the tweeter. Again this is true whether the crossover is line-level or speaker-level.

Finally I am not sure I follow you on using a horizontal (v vertical) arrangement of the amps to even the power load. With horizontal one stereo amp feeds the bass channels and the other the treble channels, so it would seem the power supply of "bass" amp would be doing more work than the PS of the "treble amp" - at least if you follow your 70:30 rule. It would seem to me that a vertical setup (one stereo amp for each speaker) would even out the load better. I am not disputing your statement that horizontal is better for speaker level biamping, I just don't follow the logic. To be clear I have not done speaker level biamping in over 30 or more years, so I will concede any argument about the fine points to you.

Oh yeah, I am not a "theory purist". I have had Magenpan speakers for almost 40 years (shit I am getting old) and have always had them biamped one way or another until I got the 3.7i which unfortunately have a series XO and are not readily amenable to biamping.

BTW, I do not like to use the term "passive biamping" as it is confusing. While speaker level is passive, not all passive biamping is at the speaker level. Line-level biamping and can be active or passive - I have used both. One other point, with the Magnepan speakers, which are notorious power hogs, I have used line-level crossover with superb results. Speaker-level was not as successful. With other speakers that don't suck up watts like the Magnepans, the line-level biamping may not be as advantageous. The point being that different approaches are needed for different systems. That is why I put the ":)" in my first post "Others may disagree but they are wrong :)".

"Our head is round in order to allow our thoughts to change direction." Francis Picabia

Edits: 02/03/17 02/03/17

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.