Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: Bi-amp fail and Amy Winehouse

If I read your post correctly, you are taking the full signal from the preamp and splitting it into two parallel but identical signals. For the most part this is fairly innocent but this is not a crossover*. From there each amplifier is fed a full signal and only when the signal reaches the speaker crossover is the signal divided into high and low frequencies.
Here is a diagram of a vertical active biamp setup which uses to identical amps:

and a diagram of a horizontal setup which is generally used if the amps are different but could be also be used for identical amps.

* I say fairly innocent because in the rare case of using a tube pre-amp [these typically have a relatively high output impedance (>1 kohm)] with some SS stereo amplifiers that have low input impedances, the desired ratio of > 10:1 (load to preamp out) may not be maintained. Signal splitting puts the two amplifiers in parallel and the load impedance seen by the preamp is halved.
Specifically in your case the Halcro has 10K ohm impedance which when split puts a load of 5000 ohms on your preamp that has an output impedance of 300 ohms (unbalanced). This means the ratio is 17:1 - this should be ok. However if you are using the balance connectors then the preamp impedance is 600 ohms and the ratio would drop below 10:1.

"Our head is round in order to allow our thoughts to change direction." Francis Picabia

Edits: 01/31/17

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.