Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

Bi-amp fail and Amy Winehouse

I have a 7 channel amp (Halcro MC70) and only 5.1 setup at the moment, so I thought I would be clever and bi-amp my main speakers (revel studios) with the extra channels. That worked until I lost a channel and went back to single amp channels per left and right main. While on the "standard" set up, I re-booted my vinyl rig and was amazed at how wonderful and engaging the sound was, better than I remembered from before, a literal "main-line" to the recording session. It was fun seeing my friends faces as they listened. All of them naturally assumed the audiophile pose, eyes closed, rapt expression, feet tapping.

Then... I got a replacement module for the amp and returned to bi-amp, using Y splitters from Audioquest, dividing the output from my Anthem D2 to two amp channels for Left and Right. I was excited to hear the results after single channel listening. Wow... what a let down! Dramatic loss of vitality, imaging and clarity.

So I went back to the single channel per speaker, connected to the high frequency posts on the speakers with the Revel bridging plates connecting the high and low frequency inputs, and voila! Awesome sound returned.

Not sure if there was loss due to the Y connectors, some kind of phase problem or maybe a bypass of the Revel crossover network in the speaker. But, done with bi amping for now..

By the way, Amy Winehouse's album "Frank" sounds awesome! She was so talented. I think this was the really "pure" Amy. "Back to Black" is awesome as well (obviously), but a little tainted by all the controversy and turmoil surrounding her at that point.. Really sorry we lost her so soon.

Edits: 01/31/17 01/31/17

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Topic - Bi-amp fail and Amy Winehouse - kSpace 09:32:34 01/31/17 (21)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.