Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: That's what I used to believe as well

Tell me about the circuit, not the price tag.

The price tag mentioned by Charles does imply a number of factors: hand assembly, careful matching of active devices, use of highest quality wiring, passive devices (including solder) and multiple, ultra stiff power supplies.

I'm looking for a schematic but can't find one.

The line stage (as the SP20 also has a phono preamplifier) is similar to the LS27 which in turn is a refined version of the LS25 MKII found here. It is a zero feedback, Class A hybrid design.

There's a lot going on in there.

Ok. Aside from being a full function preamplifier, there are few bell and whistles. It does, however, offer remote operation, switchable phono loading and the line stage is switchable for headphone output.

What is the value of those attenuators?

10k as recommended by DACT.

While I run my DAC directly into the power amp with my garage system, I prefer using a high quality preamp in the main system for optimum sound quality. BTW, John Atkinson also mentioned the quandary he also experiences with the notion of improved sound quality using an active stage with Hanson's KX-R:

"To my astonishment, the sound of my system with a Transporter D/A processor feeding the preamplifier was better than when the DAC fed the power amplifier directly. Through the KX-R, images sounded more tangible, and the sound was better focused, despite the signal's having been passed through not just another set of interconnects but also through the preamp's input and output socketry, switches, a volume control, printed circuit-board traces, and active and passive parts. Logically, you'd think that having nothing in the signal path would have less of a degrading effect than so many somethings. But no, that was not what I heard, much as I would have preferred otherwise."

Well said John!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: That's what I used to believe as well - E-Stat 06:17:12 01/29/17 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.