Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: Do you guys recall the editorial in Stereophile a few years ago . . .

I don't recall seeing that Stereophile article but I'm one of those guys who believes everything matters, but I place higher priority on some items vs others.

When I was big into CD players, they mattered a lot. I could hear the differences, but I suspect most of the differences were due to the DAC and analog output stage of the CDP. No preamp, amp, or speaker could compensate for a source that was not delivering at it's best.

Skipping ahead to computer based audio, I think most folks will agree that the music file and where it came from along with how it was ripped matters the most. I'm one of those. Basically starting with a good sounding CD then ripping w/o using lossy compression is vitally important. No MP3 or AAC files. Or buying a high quality hi-res music file is fine too.

Now we start to get into the religious wars in my opinion. I say the DAC is most important, along with good player software. Not the computer or the fact that it is a powerful or low-powered PC, Mac, Windows, macOS, or Linux. It's the DAC. Yes, you can tweak the Mac / PC for incremental improvements in sound. You can tweak the USB port, tweak power supplies and disks, etc., but the DAC will have a much bigger overall impact. That's been my take on it for years but others disagree and that's OK.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Do you guys recall the editorial in Stereophile a few years ago . . . - AbeCollins 12:18:41 01/21/17 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.