Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: Amplifier for 1.7/ 3.7 magnepans

I don't recall the brand / model of the 300wpc amps but I do remember that they were tiny upmarket (not cheap) Class D monoblocks.... and I'm not generally a fan of Class D.

In this case it certainly appeared that the 100wpc Rogue tube amp was under powered while the monoblocks were more than sufficient. It wasn't a matter of room size or volume level. The 100wpc tube amp simply sounded slightly 'compressed' on the Maggie 1.7's regardless of volume level.

This same Rogue amp is hugely dynamic and robustly powerful on other speakers that are easier to drive including my Thiel CS2.4 (which aren't the easiest but nothing like the Maggies) and my Tannoy Definition D500's. I no longer have the Rogue Stereo 90 Super Magnum amp. I have the similar Rogue Cronus Magnum Integrated that puts out about 100wpc using KT120 power tubes. The larger Rogue monoblocks might work.

You can visit 10Audio.com. I live a few miles from JerryS (the reviewer) and you'll probably find those Class D monoblocks in his review listing. They weren't W4S or any of the 'value brands'. They were very expensive as I recall ~$8000 - $12,000 range.

Edits: 01/08/17

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.