Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: Schiit Freya is now available

Well, it does look interesting; however, Transcendent Sound and Bottlehead both have very good all tube preamp kits for around $500.

What concerns me about this product is the power supply. If one looks at the model below, the Saga, the power supply is quite small. There is no picture of the Freya's power supply but one might reasonably assume that it too is not very hefty given the slim case size.

I have found that a preamp's power supply is critical to getting great sound. Bottlehead even uses sophisticated shunt regulation in their design. Without ultrastable and plentiful power to the tubes you will not get all that is possible from the tube. Is there a shot of the inside of this preamp to see what is going on inside?

Now, if one just uses it passive or with the J-fet buffer then it might be the bees knees and still pretty good value because a good relay based resistor ladder volume control is not so easy to DIY. A JFET buffer could be pretty much invisible (or not) and since most systems have too much gain already...potentially a "final" solution.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Schiit Freya is now available - morricab 06:13:51 12/27/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.