Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: Adcom 5x5 vs 5x5II vs 55xx series audio differences

I have a 535 around, I'd characterize it as having a dark, or even dull,presentation, I wasn't crazy about it. They were designed by Pass but for Adcom, and to meet a price. So don't expect a baby Pass but good for the money. The 5x5 series are a bit bass heavy but could work to balance speakers shy in that area. Also, a good buy at $399.00 the 535 is rated to be 60x2 but got a lot of attention because Stereophile tested it to do like 80.2.

The 5400 has a fairly balanced presentation. The 5500 was my favorite with a "earthy" quality about it using the MOSFET's. The 5500 had a darkness about it but not in a negative like the 535, on the 5500 it was more like the background was black and the music flowed out from that, still nice mid and highs.

Any of these used is typically a great deal. If you can find a good price on a used Threshold it would provide a good step up from the Adcom.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Adcom 5x5 vs 5x5II vs 55xx series audio differences - Mr Peabody 13:42:08 12/22/16 (2)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.