Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

REVIEW: Triode TRV-P845SE Amplifier (Tube)

Model: TRV-P845SE
Category: Amplifier (Tube)
Suggested Retail Price: $5995
Description: Single Ended Stereo Tube Amp; 845 output tubes
Manufacturer URL: Not Available
Model Picture: View

Review by Ross on December 13, 2016 at 19:15:04
IP Address: 172.9.116.164
Add Your Review
for the TRV-P845SE

I was exposed to Triode Electronics at several Axpona shows over the past few years. Each time I found the amps and the rooms they were in to be among the best of the show. I have watched the resale market from time to time, looking to see if one would show up at a reasonable price. I was lucky to find one a few weeks ago at an acceptable price. The TRV P845SE. This is the basic amp version of the more famous TRV 845SE, which is an integrated amp. The main difference is the addition of a solid state passive preamp to the basic design. The amp uses a pr of 12au7 as input tubes rather than a pr of 6sn7 as used in the integrated. Both use a pr of 2a3 as driver tubes for a pr of 845 tubes. Bias is user adjustable, and there is a handy meter on the face to indicate correct bias. Reviews of the integrated 845SE can be found on line. Reviews of the P845SE (this amp), seem to be non existent.

I have listened to the amp for about 5hrs since it arrived. Bias required a slight adjustment, and has held rock steady since.

Initial impressions reinforced what I remember from listening at the audio shows. Soundstage is wide and deep. Images hang in space, and are firmly anchored in place. For a 20wpc channel amp it sounds very powerful. Frequency extension is outstanding, with powerful deep bass and crystalline treble. Voices are rendered with lifelike depth and weight. Background is near silent, to the extent that it is easy to hear the noise floor of the source. Background silence facilitates reproduction of microdynamics; movement from key to key during a piano solo, the head of a vocalist moving around the center of a mic, a bassist moving fingers up and down the strings or a guitar player moving fingers up and down the neck, and so on.

In comparison to my ARC D70, the biggest difference is in reproduction of microdynamics. The ARC has deep bass and a wonderful soundstage. Midrange is a bit lush, but overall it sounds like a powerful muscular amp. However it isn't "fast". While I like how it sounds overall, transients are slightly blurred, in that the leading edge of a note is not as sharp as the heart and decay of the same note. The Triode 845 has great transient response. Drum hits are visceral, cymbal strikes are sharp- with a distinct impact of stick to metal, then the shimmer of the note.

After only 5hrs it is too soon to determine if the amp sounds "real" or "hyper-real". But so far, I am satisfied and that is a start.

Product Weakness: too soon to determine
Product Strengths: Soundstage; microdymanics, transient response

Associated Equipment for this Review:

Amplifier: ARC D70 MK2
Preamplifier (or None if Integrated): Audible Illusions M3
Sources (CDP/Turntable): Linn LP12 ITTOK LVII Audio Technica AT33ML-OCC Luhndal SUT
Speakers: Triangle Titus 202 run full range / AR3a used as subwoofers
Cables/Interconnects: Audioquest
Music Used (Genre/Selections): Jazz, Rock
Room Size (LxWxH): 30 ft x 12 ft x 8
Room Comments/Treatments: Fairly Live
Time Period/Length of Audition: 5hrs
Other (Power Conditioner etc.): Hospital grade distribution boxes
Type of Audition/Review: Product Owner
Your System (if other than home audition): same as above

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Topic - REVIEW: Triode TRV-P845SE Amplifier (Tube) - Ross 19:15:03 12/13/16 (7)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.