Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

I feel like I must be a worse writer than I give myself credit for.

Maybe I was in too much of a hurry to get to all the points of the story with no foundation and so didn't fully expound on the tube question.

So anyway, here I am jamming out to that aforementioned Cary bobbing my head while typing, and it reminds me of the other day when my buddy came over. As friends sometimes do he was telling the same story again, of how he really enjoyed the Naim, of how he was frustrated having something around 15k tied up in their hierarchy. What he pointed to specifically was the speed in the bass, which, fair enough, no single ended 300b is going to wallop you with. He likes to make this analogy that the Naim nailed 7 out of 10 things right, and the Cary got those 3 other things right but fell short on the other 7. Higher voices and more delicate instruments too, which all sounds like a pretty stereotypical SE vs SS kind of thing.
I think his listening demands could be pretty well satisfied by something tube (maybe PP or like parallel 845s?) but the timing thing relates more to the fact that an SS amp can be left on indefinitely and so is ready to go as soon as you come in the door.
I'm not sure how much of the search for missing delicacy that got him to pick up the CAD-300 SEI is due to my own influence and at the end of the day, isn't really something he's looking for, his penchant for small scale music not withstanding.
I sent him after a couple of the options that cropped up in this thread, but having trouble locating something to audition.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • I feel like I must be a worse writer than I give myself credit for. - DominicPorter 10:21:34 08/27/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.