Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: I have the Lepai TA-2020 in my bedroom.

I find it hard to fathom the stupidity of people. Who would compare a 20 dollar T-path chip amp to a read this quote "My old McIntosh integrated amp positively smoked it" I don't know about you but the utter stupidity of people amazes me more than this little amp.
Here are a few facts of the matter. This little amp will drive a 4ohm load, with a proper power supply 12-13.5 volt with at least a 5 amp output,the stock one is 2 amp and dont cut it, with out it when pushed at higher volumes the low end bass will start to bleed off and does at times trip the thermal protection circuit. As to the advertised 20 X 20 watts it will not produce that. with the improved power supply it will produce around 10 watts per channel of not bad at all sound source for a computer, phonograph, Tv etc. Now me being me I have to hot rod and modify just about everything so naturally the little lepai was no exception. It is a 20 dollar amp and for the 20 dollars it is a excellent amp, but it is composed of the cheapest collection of components available. For about $7.00 if you are so inclined you can and I did on 3 of the 4 amps that I own replace input capacitor (1 X ) and the( 6 ) output capacitors and boost that usable power output to around 15 watts per channel of surprisingly clean power and the bass roll off at volume is lessened considerably. With a set of good quality efficient speakers and a clean input source It is simply nice to listen to and I would say on par with the you know the overpriced you pay for the name $300+ "Blows wave radio"
So in closing do not compare it to your best McIntosh amp if he even had one ( makes me shudder just to repeat that) simply put for the $25.00 out of the box amp you can not beat this little bugger, for the additional $30.00 for the power supply, Caps, solder and about a hour of your time this is most likely the best amp out there for the money.
Here is a quote I coined myself due to the stupidity of some people. You may use this where it applies
"IF YOU KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT NO ONE WILL KNOW YOUR STUPID"
David

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.