Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

Agree With Caucasian Blackplate

Get the best source(s) you can.

With CD players, you'll need to make a checklist of features or characteristics which are important to you.

Do you want to stick with a CD changer? I don't think the Yamaha CDC-697 has a coaxial digital output, only Toslink. Therefore, if you get an outboard DAC, there's only so much fidelity you can squeeze out of Toslink.

Do you want a universal disc player, one which can play DVDs, Blu-Rays, and SACDs?

How quickly must your CD player operate? Do you need a full-featured remote, and one which works from all over the room? Do you need balanced XLR analog outputs? Do you need a fixed analog output of lower voltage? Do you need a large display? Do you need all four time modes? Do you care if the CD player has a fixed powercord?

Do you care what the CD player looks like? Do you favor drawers, slot, or a top-loader?

Do you need a one-box CD player, which also sports digital inputs?

How many CDs do you have, and how important are they, and any future CDs you would obtain?

Once you've answered the above, then you can narrow down the choices, and then investigate sound quality matters.

But Caucasian Blackplate offers wise advice. The amp/preamp should provide as clean a window into the music, relay the source info to your Maggies. Asking the amp/preamp to color the sound is a well-worn path to audio hell. When I used to do that, I just could have spent less, and gotten a graphic equalizer.

The Audiophiles' DJ,
-Lummy The Loch Monster

p.s.: if you go to my homepage, you can search the tags for Rotel, and find my posts about the Rotel RCC-1055 CD changer. For what it is, it's pretty good, especially when I sub in a Synergistic Research Quantum Red or Hi-Fi Tuning Supreme after-market fuse (20mm slow-blow 0.5A).

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.