Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

Re: AVA T7 Impressions

I wouldn't say the 550ex is warm. The JC-1's are warm, as was the Dual Mono Odyssey Stratos I had before. I picked up an old AVA Omega III amp used a while back, and it is also warm sounding. But the new FetValves are not warm at all. Clear, dynamic, detailed, and smooth (as in not grainy) is how I would describe it. I can, of course, make it sound warmer using Mullard tubes in it, but it loses too much detail (just like you said). The EH tubes are the best match for the 550ex I've used.

I heard the Spectron in 2 systems, mine (VMPS RM40's, AVA T7, Bolder Mensa DIO DAC), and in the owners system (Accuphase DP-65 directly driving the Spectron, using Selah Audio Excelarray's). I think both systems are up to snuff enough to say that the character of the spectron is extremely detailed, but it tended to emphasize leading edge transients at the expense of the full roundness of the "center" of the note. When I listen to music, each note has an attack (initial transient), bloom (the "middle" of the note), and decay. The spectron did GREAT at the attack and the decay, but the middle of the notes were not as full as they should have been.

Don't get me wrong, the Spectron is a great amp and it did certain things as well as I've heard any amp, period. But I do think it would probably be better mated to a tubed preamp so that there is a little more body to the sound overall. JMHO, of course.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.