Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: How about listening to a Magnepan dealer, Magnepan, and two reviewers ...

"Ideally SET amps work best with higher impedance/ sensitivity speakers(there`re always exceptions)."

I would make an exception to the first part of this sentence. I think it is more important that a SET see a FLAT impedance, which will minimize the frequency response errors that can be caused by having a high output impedance. If it is somewhat low doesn't matter so much because most tube amps have more than one tap to match better. Obviously a 1 ohm Apogee Scintilla would be a major problem, which I tried with the KR Audio VA350i. The friend with the Studio Grands and Centaur Majors ALSO has a pair of fully rebuilt Scintillas. Well, we got sound out but not much, no surprise.

I was friends with the late Allen Wright from Vacuumstate and he actually developed a tube amp designed SPECIFICALLY for driving Scintillas. He had a pair (as did his business partner Thomas) and they hated not being able to use their tube creations on those wonderful speakers. So, he did something about it. We tried it at my friend's and it definitely made the Scintillas sing. Think about it, a tube amp that put out over 100 watts into 1 ohm!!! It wasn't a SET but it was pretty good sounding. On the Studio Grand; however, the consensus of the listerners there that day (All Apogee or planar speaker owners) was that the KR made the best sound from the Studio Grands.

High sensitivity is only important, IMO, with non-planar speakers because good ribbon and electrostatic speakers work well at lower volumes due to lower mechanical resistances to motion. A typical box speaker needs a bigger kick just to make any sound, which is why most want to be played loud but a good ribbon or electrostat just goes down down down while maintaining the proper balance. Loud is not necessary for good clarity, tone and dynamic contrast.

"Whatever SET sounds good with the maggie would sound better yet with a speaker like mine due to a more optimal load match/sensitivity.Would`nt you agree?
"
Not necessarily. Many high sensitivity/high impedance speakers have serious frequency response and resonance/coloration issues. Very few are even remotely neutral. If I was going for a high sensitivity speaker to retire with I would either buy the Lansche Cubus or the Odeon No. 32. These are dream speakers...

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.