Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: no

It is in-line with many of my friends. Only a few of them listen louder than I do on average.

FWIW, the guy with the Grands listens loud. I have heard them playing loud with a single pair of NAT SE2SE (rated 60 watts) and there were no audible dynamic limitations. We also played the same speakers with the CAT JL-2 and it sounded similar but ultimately not quite as good. He has reported to me that he drove them just fine with the SE1 as well (30 watts). Given my experience with the KR Audio VA350i and the Apogee Studio Grand and the Centaur Major, I believe him.

Also, this same person who has the Grands, what do you think he replaced in going with SET amps for his Grands??? 4 Krell KRS200 monoblocks, which were by many accounts the best amps that Krell made!!! He has also decided to bypass the built-in Krell tweeter amps so that he can use the NAT SE1s on the tweeters!!!! In his and my opinions the sound is a whole other universe better sounding. Not even close, the Krell setup (very expensive and powerful) sounded gray and mechanical with a bit of agression in the treble. The only place he has kept a Krell amp is with the subwoofers, which at the time I was there listening were not even being used (still under repair).

At my other friend's place with his Studio Grands (again full-range ribbons because he doesn't like the sound of the subs) in a room that is approximately 70 sqm. we were able to listen at moderate to moderately loud (95db peaks approximately) with no audible strain with my VA350i. In the same room, the Centaur Major was stunningly good (the ribbon on that speaker is really stellar).

In my own systems, I have driven to moderately loud (as defined above) levels with this amp on the following planar speakers:
Apogee Caliper Signature
Acoustat 1+1
Acoustat Spectra 2200
Acoustat Spectra 4400
STAX ELS-F81 (lower levels due to limitations of the speakers)

Not one of these speakers is particular easy (Calipers average about 3 ohms and Acoustats drop to 2 ohms in the bass and highs) to drive but I was able to reach close to 100db in my room at the listening position.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: no - morricab 09:38:06 09/10/12 (7)
    • RE: no - kentaja 19:16:57 09/11/12 (6)
      • RE: no - morricab 01:34:47 09/13/12 (5)
        • RE: no - kentaja 08:44:15 09/13/12 (4)
          • RE: no - morricab 14:21:41 09/14/12 (3)
            • RE: no - kentaja 15:44:57 09/14/12 (2)
              • RE: no - morricab 08:14:59 09/24/12 (1)
                • RE: no - kentaja 19:19:08 09/24/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.