Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: REVIEW: Audio Research, Inc. Reference 3 Preamplifier (Tube)

Nice review!

One thing wasn't clear to me when I read your review: do you leave your Ref 3 switched on all the time? I ask partly because of your comments on the bass of this preamp. Recent ARC preamps (well, since the SP-11!) have had pretty well-defined bass, and some of them have been described as over-dry by some valve die-hards.

I find with my Vacuum State RTP3 that the bass definition improved noticeably after it has been on for several hours - and that is why I decided a few months ago to leave it on constantly.

Oh, by the way, Mike K's diversionary tactic was pretty much just that - it is not in the slightest bit relevant to your post, and he attacks all the straw men he can think of referring to vinyl reproduction, most of which are just non-issues to most vinyl listeners. I don't hear much surface noise at all from my records, even though I don't own any kind of record cleaner beyond a carbon-fibre brush, and through my system they sound quite wonderful.

Alex

PS. I'm sure you have read the Stereophile review of the Ref 3, but here is a link for anyone who is interested:

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.