Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: Basic Amplifier Question: Gain vs. Watts

>> But what about the Theta amps, with 400 watts, 300
>> watts, and 250 watts, and 100 watts, all with about
>> 26 dB gain. True, they all have differing input
>> sensitivities, but if I'm using a preamp to drive
>> them, what are the advantages of the higher wattage,
>> if they are all putting out the same 25 or 26 dB at
>> full power? I'm sure I'm not understanding something,
>> but what is it?

You're right -- you're missing something.

Look at it this way: Gain (input sensitivity) and an amp's Maximum Power Output are unrelated. They are two different things.

Gain is one measure of how much input voltage it takes to reach the maximum output of the amp. How many watts the amp outputs is irrelevant at this point.

The reason gain is an important specification is simply so you can better match your preamp or source components to your system.

Too much amp gain used with a high-output preamp will be a problem. You'll have no effective volume control range and, in some circumstances, may overload the amp's input circuit, resulting in distortion.

Too little amp gain and you may have trouble reaching full volume, particularly if you are using a passive "preamp" or directly connecting line-out source components without using a preamp.

That's the key to understanding. Wattage has nothing to do with gain. You can have an amp with 26 dB gain and 10 watts or 26 dB gain with 1,000 watts.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Basic Amplifier Question: Gain vs. Watts - mls-stl 06:20:49 07/15/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.