Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

Depends on hwo the gain spec is specified. Sometimes it's how many mV in to get 1 watt into an 8 ohm resistoo

Sometimes its a MV figure for the full rated output into a resistor without giving a db figure for gain. So gain figures are not always written to the '1watt out/8ohms' standard.

And no a gain figure on its own can't tell you how much power the amp delivers or how powerful it will sound in your system.

Viz. My two rebuilt LEAK Stereo 20s were originally spec'd as 125mV!!!!! in for 16 watts into 16 or 8 ohms at 1khz off the relevant output taps, with a few watts less into 20 Hz and 20 kHz. They have at least 3db less gain than that since the rebuilds. And they still give 16watts but from 20 to 20kHz and sound a lot more powerful.

Noting that two dissimilar amps with very different power outputs can still have the same gain and will produce the same output power in watts (or volts) into the same load, when fed the same size signal in mV or V.

Mind you they may still have different slew rates, decay, distortion spectra, damping factor and tonal balance.

Warmest

Tim Bailey

Skeptical Measurer & Audio Scrounger

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Depends on hwo the gain spec is specified. Sometimes it's how many mV in to get 1 watt into an 8 ohm resistoo - Timbo in Oz 20:37:02 07/13/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.