Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: Is this still a problem with ultra linear tube amplifiers?

I don't think that destroying the current limiting resistor for the screen grid is much of a problem, but other than that Hegeman made some interesting and valid points. Basically the "ultra-linear" configuration adds taps to the primary winding to apply feedback to the screen grids. This is just of one of many ways to do something similar.

Audio Research has always used a configuration that ties the cathodes to the secondary winding to provide feedback around the transformer. McIntosh had multiple windings to transfer some of the load directly to the cathodes. Others use no feedback around the output stage whatsoever (pretty much confined to low-powered triode designs).

Clearly there is no single "best" solution, or everyone would use it. There are always trade-offs involved in any product design, even with something as simple as toasters. Often the trade-off is that a better solution costs more. The "ultra-linear" output stage invented by Hafler and Keroes in the early '50s (or maybe by Blumlein before that -- it usually turns out that he was actually the first to have invented many audio designs, but for some reason didn't receive credit for many of them).

As usual, the best thing to do is listen. If you like the sound and it fits in your budget, that is the real "best" design.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Is this still a problem with ultra linear tube amplifiers? - Charles Hansen 09:15:00 07/08/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.