Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: Tube amplifier suggestions needed.

This won't be an issue in terms of watts as you simply use the 4ohm tap. So most tube amps will have no trouble with your speakers based on the specs provided.

I don't necessarily see the point in overspending - plenty of ~2k amps sound excellent and may be better than any given $$6k amplifier - it will depend on the "type of" sound you like.

Some good brands mentioned here already but I'll add Line Magnetic and Audio Space as some of the best value for the coin tube amps I've heard. And I recently bought something from both of them.

I would give a serious attempt to try and audition Line Magnetic and Audio Space - the former makes the ridiculously good 219Ia at about $7,500 and is a massively powered 845 SET with 300B and 310a driver and input tubes. Build quality is as good as amplifiers get. (I bought their CD 215 CD player which is not available in the US (yet).

http://www.toneimports.com/lmaudio/lmaudioHome.html

Audio Space looks sexy but actually sounds excellent as well and attractively priced. I could not pass it up and I am currently reviewing an 82db sensitive loudspeaker with the Audio Space mini-2 amplifier. This is maybe one of the best EL34 based amplifier I have so far heard even with stock tubes/caps (the bang for Buck is very high). It has the open extended presentation and pace of a good KT 88 while retaining the EL34 weight and valve body. And the headphone amp section is worth the price by itself IMO.

Both brands offer a lot of different types and slightly different layouts and circuit designs. I liked the less expensive EL34 Mini over their more expensive KT 88 models (doesn't mean it's better but I just preferred it on the particular speaker - I could have preferred the KT88 on another speaker). This is why I say don't just set a budget and spend - it's very possible a less expensive model will tickle your fancy. I prefer the Audio Note OTO EL84 to the more expensive Audio Note Soro. Some like the new 300B silver Meishu over the 211 based Ongaku at 4 times the price - some don't of course.

Edits: 07/03/12

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Tube amplifier suggestions needed. - RGA 07:05:35 07/03/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.