Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: "Intelligent comments" only make sense, when there's an indication that they could be received intelligently.

"you question the most basic things like quality of power affecting sound"

Oh no, I don't question that at all and if you concluded that based upon one or more of my posts then I apologize as it is certainly not the case.

"Resolving system is the one that puts to rest beliefs you hold, and the kind of questions about sound quality both of you ask in this thread."

I don't know what YOU mean by "resolution", surely you aren't just using it as a synonym for "good" or "that which I like" which is what I get from the sentence above.

My point is simply that the term "resolution" is meaningless without either either a qualification or custom. Resolution is the limit of detection, the ability to "resolve" something or another under controlled conditions to some degree of statistical confidence. The photo world uses the term a lot, or at least used to pre-MTF and in general it's how many lines-per-inch you can make out in an image after it's passed through the whatever, usually a lens.

So even though photographers don't spend much time taking pictures of lines, the results and their appearance helps you to know how sharp a picture your niece will turn out.

What would YOU say the appropriate units are for whatever it is that you call resolution? Just knowing that will probably get me on the same page the fastest.

Rick

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.