Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: No need for that....

This is all a matter of audio history.

Don't believe me? Google 'fisher A-80 amplifier". On the first page of hits you will see a You Tube image.

You don't need to look at the video- just the image. Its a picture of the feedback knob on the amp. Fully counterclockwise its labled 'Constant Voltage', at 12:00 'Constant Power' and fully clockwise 'Constant Current'.

The issue was back in the 50s when this amp was made was that not all speakers worked properly with a low output impedance amplifier, just like today. This could easily result in the crossover frequencies being shifted, odd resonances, stuff like that. You had to adjust the amp for the speaker.

Today the Voltage Paradigm has sort of taken over, but like the LP and vacuum tubes themselves, failed to actually displace the prior art, which was the Power Paradigm. The two design criteria have been in conflict in audio for 45 years!

Right now I am guessing you did not read the article fully, as I am going to point to an example in it- that of the Sensitivity spec for loudspeakers as opposed to Efficiency. The former is Voltage Paradigm and the latter is the Power Paradigm spec. You see this in recording studios too- in the old days everything drive 600 ohms with 1 watt... now that is all a matter of voltage. I could go on, but instead, why not go back and read the article a little more closely? Then we can discuss it if you like.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: No need for that.... - Ralph 09:58:43 07/02/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.