Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: Spectral et al...

With tube amp manufacturers, the added even ordered harmonics and soft clipping "features" of tubes are still used as "audiophool sweetners" today- literally decades after it was discovered that SS could outperform them in just about every category - most notably with low output impedance and high current delivery.

This is quite incorrect. Transistors will make a lot of the same even orders if they are also operated single-ended. What if a tube amplifier is designed to be fully differential and balanced like most transistor amplifiers?? The answer- no even ordered distortions, as they are canceled not just in the load, but at every stage in the amp, just like solid state.

So no 'sweeteners'... yet we get plenty of comments about the improvement that our amps make, even over Spectral but I leave that one up to you.

I think you will find as well that even though you have 'high current delivery' that it does you no good. Its a simple fact that the amplifier may be able to drive lower impedances, but that is not the same as saying it is sounding its best into those loads. You can see it in the specs- distortion is lower driving higher impedances like 8 or even 16 ohms. You hear this as the amp sounding smoother and more detailed- more 'tube like' as many reviewers are prone to comment.

Now if simple sound pressure is your goal, maybe you have a benefit to those low impedance speakers (but you would be better off with horns- there really is no good argument for speakers 4 ohms or less). But if *fidelity* is your goal, think about an easier speaker to drive. There is an instant payoff.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Spectral et al... - Ralph 09:33:53 07/02/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.