Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: yes and no.

Ralph said:

"...getting the equipment to sound like real music is the goal."

That is your goal. The goal of others (myself included) is:

" to build systems that add or subtract nothing from the sound that is fed into them - in essence unadulterated reproduction of the original recorded signal."

To me, that means driving BOTH odd and even ordered harmonics into the range of inaudibility. For most "normal" people, with respect to amplifiers, that has already been accomplished using solid state equipment, tube equipment, and hybrid equipment. There will always be people who argue whether or not a sonic artifact that's 40 db down in volume from the fundamental is audible. For those folks, reason and rational discourse will always be a struggle. For the rest of us, the contribution of audible even harmonics or a rising top end due to increased impedance is never a "good thing" and is not what we consider to be in the category of equipment "sounding real". Whether or not real musical instruments produce even ordered harmonics is irrelevant. A tube amp that adds more of these harmonics is no better than a solid state amp that adds more odd ordered harmonics. Both need to stay below the threshold of audibility for a system to sound "real".

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.