Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

agreed on all counts! Thanks for putting this up.

The idea is that the amp have linearity without the need for feedback.

The issue then becomes, how do you drive speakers that are clearly made for amps with a very low 'output impedance' (I use the quotes for a reason, which is that the term is not entirely factual)?

What I have found is that if the speaker has these requirements of the amp then it will never sound like real music on account of such amps in and of themselves can't sound like real music because of the limitations imposed by feedback and the like.

This then requires that the speaker is able to accommodate an amplifier with a higher output impedance. This requires different box design (if it is a box) and also different crossover design. With respect to the latter, if you use the wrong amps with the wrong speakers, the crossover might be a couple of octaves off! This is why some horns will 'honk' with some transistor amps. There is more at the link.

Essentially for the most part the industry has been headed down the wrong road for about the last 45 years. What I mean by this is that the human hearing rules are pretty much ignored in favor of specs on paper. The former is why some amps sound good with "poor specs", the latter is why some amps sell better, as the specs on paper can make a bad amp look good.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.